January 15, 2013
An effective design should make people feel a certain way and take a certain action. Listed below are the 10 design principles that have served us well.
- Define Goals First - Begin every website design project with a brainstorming session that outlines clear, realistic website goals that reinforce to your business objectives.
- Focus on Users Second - With your clear goals top of mind, you’ll then need to define and prioritize users. Be as specific as possible.
- Design for Emotion - Brand is about emotions. Be sur you understand what emotions your brand should convey.
- Follow the Rules of Visual Design - There are many small elements that users consciously and subconsciously use to decide if they’re going to trust a website. Be sure you understand these rules.
- Build a Clear, Visual Hierarchy - Website visitors skim. They don’t read. Grab their attention and get them to the most important information with a clearly defined, well thought out visual hierarchy.
- Be Consistent - Don’t confuse your users
- Break the rules (when necessary) - If there is something particularly unique or important that you need to highlight, you may need to “break the rules.
Don’t overuse gimmicks - Make your design fun, but make sure those elements support what you’re trying to accomplish on the site.
Test. Measure. Improve - Collecting and analyzing ongoing test data will drive constant improvement.